Suppliers battling for medium-voltage market share gains

Privately run electricity suppliers captured just half a percent of main power utility PPC’s virtually monopolistic market share during the month of January, according to latest market data for January.

The data, released by LAGIE, the Electricity Market Operator, showed that independent electricity suppliers held a total of 5.61 percent of the local market, with PPC remaining dominant at 94.39 percent.

The battle between PPC and private suppliers has intensified in the medium-voltage category following the power utility’s recent announcement of a ten percent discount offer for all businesses paying their electricity bills on time.

According to PPC sources, a considerable number of professional category consumers who have left the utility are now seeking to return following the announcement of the discount offer.

Data provided by the utility indicates that 20 percent of commercial and industrial consumers in the medium and low-voltage categories, the most profitable category, have transferred from the utility to privately run suppliers.

Alternative suppliers are suggesting that PPC’s aggressive sales policy has made it more difficult for them to gain market ground. Despite a bailout agreement condition requiring PPC to drastically reduce its market share, the utility’s approach is restriciting access to the market and undermining competition, according to independent suppliers.

Even so, they are prepared to respond to the challenge by offering even lower tariffs, private supplier officials have indicated, while keenly anticipating the imminent arrival of NOME auctions, to offer third parties access to PPC’s low-cost lignite and hydropower sources in the wholesale market. Independent suppliers intend to relay these lower prices to consumers in their effort to gain greater market shares.

Of the 94.39 percent market share held by PPC, 63.4 percent represents low-voltage consumption, 20.07 percent concerns medium-voltage consumption, and 10.68 percent represents high-voltage consumption.

As for the independent suppliers, Elpedison held a 1.5 percent share, divided into 0.93 percent for low-voltage consumption, 0.56 percent for medium-voltage consumption, and just 0.01 percent for high-voltage consumption, which obviously concerns the enterprise’s own needs.

Heron’s share was 1.63 percent, divided into 0.59 percent for low-voltage consumption, 1.04 percent for medium-voltage consumption, and 0.01 percent for high-voltage consumption.

Protergia held 1.07 percent, divided into 0.33 percent for low-voltage consumption, 0.73 percent for medium-voltage consumption, up from previous figures, and 0.01 percent for high-voltage consumption.

Green held a 0.28 percent market share, entirely in the low-voltage consumption category. Volterra held 0.25 percent, all in medium-voltage consumption. Watt + Volt held 0.29 percent, divided into 0.26 percent for low-voltage consumption and 0.03 percent for medium-voltage consumption. NRG Trading held a 0.37 percent share, divided into 0.14 percent for low-voltage consumption and 0.23 percent for medium-voltage consumption.