A favorable gas supply agreement for gas utility DEPA with Russia’s Gazprom, not too far from the existing deal – indexed to the Dutch TTF gas platform with a 40 percent coefficient, the other 60 percent oil indexed – would enable DEPA to increase its discount rate for December and the first quarter of 2022 from 15 percent to 30 percent, otherwise the discount rate will need to be smaller, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis and energy minister Kostas Skrekas have noted.
DEPA, currently locked in negotiations with Gazprom, cannot take any discount-policy initiatives until its talks with the Russian gas company, Greece’s dominant supplier, have concluded.
DEPA chief executive Konstantinos Xirafas (photo) will be continuing talks, via video calls, with Gazprom today.
At this stage, it appears that the Russian company’s initial demand for a 2022 pricing formula 100-percent TTF-indexed has now fallen to 80 percent, the other 20 percent oil indexed. The TTF index has risen by over 500 percent over the past year.
Greece is aiming for an improvement in the pricing formula, negotiated annually as part of a Gazprom supply agreement with DEPA expiring in 2026.