Ambitious RES auctions for wind, PV capacities seen for first half of ’18

The energy ministry intends to stage two RES capacity auctions within the first six months of 2018 offering 300 MW for wind energy installations and 300 MW for photovoltaic capacity, well over an initial plan already endorsed by the European Commission and offering 100 MW for each of these two RES technologies, energypress sources have informed.

The upcoming auction will be divided into two categories, as was the case with a pilot auction held in December, 2016, for projects with capacities of over 1 MW, to be offered the lion’s share (80%), and projects of less than I MW, to be offered the remaining 20 percent.

Energypress sources informed that the energy ministry has already decided on this far more ambitious RES capacity plan, which could be announced as soon as tomorrow at a RAE (Regulatory Authority for Energy) seminar to cover energy market auctions.

Based on the plan already endorsed by the European Commission, Greece has committed to offering combined wind-and-solar energy capacity auctions, instead of separate sessions, by the beginning of 2019, the objective being to increase competition and reduce renewable energy costs for consumers.

It is believed that authorities may consider staging the first combined wind-and-solar energy auction, offering 400 MW as a pilot session, within the second half of this year.