Gas utility DEPA’s negotiations with Russia’s Gazprom over a pricing formula for gas supply in 2022 are continuing with some apparent progress but no agreement as yet.
The Russian side went into the talks demanding a gas pricing formula fully indexed with the Dutch gas platform TTF index, but this appears to have now been succeeded by a revised proposal for a gas price 80 percent indexed with the TTF, the other 20 percent oil-indexed.
Gazprom also wants the new pricing formula to run until the end of 2026, when the company’s supply agreement with DEPA expires, not just for 2022.
Another demand by the Russian gas company for reduced annual quantities was flatly rejected by DEPA as a proposal crossing the red line. This Gazprom demand appears to have been taken off the negotiating table, the Russian company now seeming willing to accept an unchanged annual quantity of two billion cubic meters until 2026.
Talks, as a result, now appear to be entirely focused on the pricing formula.
DEPA’s agreement with Gazprom, its main supplier, expires in 2026 but is subject to annual talks concerning pricing formula and take-or-play clause revisions.